[Guest post by a SAL friend….]
Turning 21 is sort of a big deal, but I didn’t want to make it about going to bars and alcohol. I heard about www.SecretAgentL.com and decided to turn my 21st birthday into doing 21 random acts of kindness. Although I wanted to remain completely anonymous, I decided to hand out my little gifts because of the concern with bomb threats and random packages left. Below is a random sampling of some of the people I gave the gifts to, how it was received and how it made me feel!
21 Random Acts of Kindness:
-Went into different businesses and gave gifts to people waiting at the bus stop
– I gave a scarf to one homeless man and had a 10 minute conversation with him. He gave me several hugs and was super appreciative.
– I gave gifts to workers in McDonald’s and Quaker Steak and Lube. They were a little surprised but very happy and grateful.
– I gave a gift to a woman waiting at the bus stop and she seemed quite confused, but hopefully giving her a gift made her happy and she realized the importance of giving back
– I gave gifts to two women in Dave and Andy’s and I have never seen two more grateful ladies. They were amazed by the fact that on my 21st birthday I chose to give out gifts instead of going to the bars as typical college students do. They both hugged me in the most sincere way and it was great.
-I gave a gift to a girl in one of my classes and I had never seen someone so excited. She was so sweet and we now talk to each other on a regular basis in class.
– There’s a blind homeless man who sits outside of Rite-Aid and is an amazing singer. I put a scarf around his neck and also had a conversation with him. When I walked past him before, he had the scarf wrapped tightly around his neck and couldn’t stop touching it. It was so sweet.
I sincerely suggest that everyone take the opportunity, if for no reason at all, to pay it forwards. The gift is for someone, but the rewards definitely come back to you!